Monday, March 15, 2010

Running on Broadway may be Bourgeois

I have become an interview fiend the last week or so. Endless interviews trying to find something to fill my days in a way that will also fill my checking account. Today however I went on an interview I truly cared about, for, of course, an unpaid position. For, no REAL artist should ever find happiness in work they do for money. How bourgeois.

yeah. right.

But I did truly care about it because it is an opportunity this summer to mentor young playwrights and ultimately direct their work. More exciting. It will be a RADIO PLAY. A new artistic venture for me as well as for the kids. And I speak of this future endeavor with great confidence despite my interview taking place only this morning because I was called back soon after to be offered one of the director positions. It was the first interview I had felt at ease at in the 100 interviews of the last week. It was the me from a year ago at that interview. The me I wanted to be and became and then lost somehow. Recently. At least I know she's in there. I was getting worried. But i think she came out because I did care. Because I knew I was the best person for this job, I knew my talents & my education could be utilized when at my previous interviews all I could boast was my ability to make the perfect foam. Which really. Can I?

Doubtful.
Good thing I'm an actor.
I'll just pretend to make it.




Two steps forward. Finally. A job for necessity and a job that reminds me why I'm willing to do what's necessary.

I'm ready to start running.

Final knot needed. Final knot tied.

No looking back.

No comments: